Police Check

In some states or territories, nannies are required to have a Working with Children Check card or the state equivalent.

Babysitters and Nannies can obtain a Federal or State Police Check from their local police station for a small fee. The police check will reveal any convictions such as driving offences and theft. However most checks will not reveal any conviction that was more than ten years ago (due to the Spent Convictions Scheme). Please refer to the sites below for more information on obtaining checks.


A national service you can use to obtain a police check for any state is http://www.policecheck.com.au/

New South Wales

You can obtain a Police Check application from your local police station or the NSW police site. 'Standard Disclosure' is recommended. Purpose of the check is a 'Name and date of birth check'. You must bring the completed form and 3 forms of ID to your local police station and pay the fee (approx. $52). See the NSW Police Website for more information.

The Working With Children Check is for carers in child-related work, employed by a commercial agency (so you don't need it for work found on Find A Babysitter since you are working for parents independently, but to improve your chances of employment, it is recommended that you obtain a Certificate for Self Employed People Working With Children). See www.kids.nsw.gov.au to find out more.


The 'National Police Record Check' application form is available from the Victoria Police Website athttp://www.police.vic.gov.au/.
Fill in the form, mail it with a cheque (see site for specific amount, approx $32) to the Victorian Police, then wait 10 working days for them to send the certificate back to you. In Section A select "National Name Check". In Section E select the "Contact with children" box in "Option 1". For additional information, see the Victoria Police Website.

Victoria also has a Working with Children Check - this is only needed for nannies and babysitters working for a commercial agency. However, it is recommended that you apply for a WWCC as it will let parents know you're a nanny or babysitter they can trust, improving your chances of employment. See http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/workingwithchildren for more information.


Apply at any police station in Queensland for a Criminal History Record Check (Qld only) or for a Police Certificate (Australia-wide) check. The checks will cost approx. $40. If you already have a ‘Working With Children Check - Blue Card’ this is also suitable. Read more information about the checks at the Queensland Police site. For more information about a Blue Card, see http://www.ccypcg.qld.gov.au/employment/whats-new.html

Western Australia

Western Australia now requires a Working with Children Check. This applies to any carers with a formal agreement like paid nannies and babysitters working regularly. The form can be obtained from Australia Post Offices and costs approx. $50 to submit. See http://www.checkwwc.wa.gov.au/default.htm for more information.

Australian Capital Territory

The Working with Vulnerable People (Background Checking) Act 2011 (the WWVP Act) commenced on 8 November 2012. It aims to reduce the risk of harm or neglect to vulnerable people in the ACT.

The WWVP Act requires those who work or volunteer with vulnerable people to have a background check and be registered.

The premise of background checking is that the past behaviour of an individual can provide an indication of the possible future behaviour of that individual. Examples or patterns of abusive or inappropriate behaviour can sometimes be evident in information available for assessment, which includes an individual’s criminal record.

Northern Territory

It is mandatory for people who have contact or potential contact with children in certain specified areas of employment to hold a Working with Children Clearance Notice.

Clearance Notices are designed to keep children safe by preventing those who pose a risk to the safety of children from working with them, in either paid or volunteer work. Everyone who is issued with a Working with Children Clearance Notice will also receive an Ochre Card. The Ochre Card can be carried with you in a wallet or purse as easy proof that you hold a Working with Children Clearance Notice.


South Australia

A police record check provides a summary of your offender history in Australia.

It is usually requested by organisations as part of their recruitment process for staff and volunteers.

Police checks for volunteers who work with vulnerable groups such as children, the aged or people with a disability are provided free of charge by South Australia Police to organisations who have a Volunteer Organisation Authorisation Number.

Police record checks are also called national police certificates.


Tasmania Police provides a consent-based Police Record Check enquiry service for residents of, or employees based in, Tasmania. The record check is used primarily for the purpose of employment, occupation-related licensing, registration, volunteer work or personal information. More information is available at http://www.police.tas.gove.au/services-online/police-history-record-checks/

Learn more about being a nanny with our resources including Nanny Etiquette, safety guidelines, find out how The Nanny Emporium works or contact us today.